About Me

Miami, Florida, United States
Hello my name is meyling, I am 24 years old, I am currently studying full-time at FNC, health service administration, in my free times I like to share with my family and friends, especially with my mom, this is my first blog and i love this topic because my favorite flower is the one that i show on the page. than you ..enjoyyyyy... ;)

Dec 7, 2010

Poinsettia Legend and History


Poinsettias (euphorbia pulcherrima) are native to Mexico and Central America. The Aztecs called it cuetlaxochitl. Poinsettias were introduced in the United States in 1825 by Joel Poinsett, the first U.S. ambassador to Mexico, and quickly caught on as a popular Christmas plant. Poinsettias have thin, pale green leaves. When in bloom, they display brightly colored bracts (red, pink, or white) on the top of each stem. Although many mistakenly think that these bracts are flower petals, the actual flowers are the tiny yellow clusters found at the center of the bracts (Bract are simply leaves masquerading as petals). Another common misconception is that the plant is poisonous. Like most euphorbias, the sap is a little caustic and may cause skin irritation, and certainly indigestion if digested, but if you're going to knock the hubby off for the insurance money (there's a cheery holiday thought...), find another plant.
[Automatically translated by Microsoft® Translator]

No comments:

Post a Comment